Re: Read-only data in ELF libraries may be remapped writable at runtime (upcoming NDSS'17 paper)

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 01:58:38PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 12/23/2016 12:50 PM, Mathias Payer wrote:
>
> >We want to report a vulnerability that is common in binaries on most
> >Linux distributions where binaries with PIE break common security
> >assumptions (like read-only format strings or immutable vtables).
>
> Thanks for sharing your research!
>
> >The mitigation is to (a) recompile packages with -fPIC instead of -fPIE
> >or to (b) update the ELF format/loader linker toolchain so that
> >permissions of individual symbols can be tracked throughout the lifetime
> >of code.
>
> Does (b) really require changes to the ELF format?

I think you could fix the problem with just a linker change.  Add
another section like .dynbss (.dynrelro maybe) that is used for
variables copied into the executable from read-only sections in shared
libraries.  Like other relro sections it could be made read-only after
relocation.

I'll note that current x86 gcc makes more use of .dynbss and copy
relocs than older versions..

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM