Re: 2.25 freeze - a little more than the holiday fortnight to go

On Thursday 22 December 2016 06:52 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> In my view, the freeze period is for architecture testing and
> stabilization, and people doing such testing need to be able to plan to
> start it on 1 January / 1 July, not on some unknown later date after
> "blocker" features have gone in.  Thus it's inappropriate to add tunables,
> new condvar and rwlock, or any other such substantial
> architecture-independent changes that would invalidate architecture
> testing, after 31 December.

While I understand the idea of only having bug fixes and regressions as
blockers, I am hopeful that making them blockers adds incentive for
other maintainers (and the release manager) to step in to review these
patches.  We don't currently have a mechanism for this  - there is the
"Desirable this Release" section, but it hardly seems to suggest the
kind of importance we might want to associate with key features that
have already missed multiple releases.  If the intent of "desirable..."
was indeed that, then we could just move condvar and tunables there and
hope that they don't miss yet another release.

Siddhesh