Re: GLIBC bug list on sourceware.org

On 10/24/2016 10:27 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2016 01:05 AM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
>> Another following idea is to also prioritize the bugs issues once the triage
>> is done.
>>
>> Any thoughts, ideas, advices?
>
> Carlos and I had talked about this in the past and we had agreed on
> using the release freeze time to try and bring the number of pending
> bugs down.  We could try and make that idea into a more formal process,
> by making the slushy freeze time an official thing and encourage devs to
> work on reducing the bug backlog in that time.
>
> The trouble however is that very few contributors do glibc work full
> time and freezes are usually the time that they move on to do other
> things, unless they have pending patches or features that they care about.

We consciously choose a time-boxed release, and the consequence of that is
that we should be doing bug fixes in a continuous fashion.

I think we need some kind of weekly or monthly bug review which tries to
squash the bugs that have popped up.

https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=SUSPENDED&bug_status=WAITING&bug_status=REOPENED&f1=creation_ts&list_id=32518&o1=greaterthan&product=glibc&query_format=advanced&v1=2016-10-17

Last week we had 4 new bugs.

20729 	glibc-2.24 fails to build for i486 with -Os
20728 	powerpc: Missing TOC stub in clone
20720 	ntfw with FTW_CHDIR and FTW_DEPTH can't back out of a tree properly giving ENOENT
20708 	Extra test failures with LD_BNID_NOW=1
20707 	gl_pathv entries not set to NULL with GLOB_DOOFFS

I'd focus on practicing a weekly triage of whatever was opened that week.

Carlos.