make check vs. make xcheck

I had such good luck with my last testing question I guess I will ask
another.  The glibc wiki indicates that running 'make xcheck' is a
superset of running 'make check', but when I run 'make xcheck' I get
a summary showing only 16 tests run:

FAIL: iconv/test-iconvconfig
FAIL: nptl/tst-setuid2
Summary of test results for extra tests:
      2 FAIL
     14 PASS
Makefile:361: recipe for target 'xtests' failed
make[1]: *** [xtests] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/ubuntu/sellcey/glibc-std/src/glibc'
Makefile:9: recipe for target 'xcheck' failed
make: *** [xcheck] Error 2

Now based on the time taken to run, I believe all the tests in 'make
check' did actually get run as part of 'make xcheck' and if I look in
the object directory I see that there are PASS and FAIL results in
various subdirectories but the results do not show up in the summary.

When I ran 'make check' I got:

(lots of linknamespace failures)
FAIL: conform/XPG4/utime.h/linknamespace
FAIL: conform/XPG4/utmpx.h/linknamespace
FAIL: conform/XPG4/wordexp.h/linknamespace
FAIL: debug/tst-backtrace5
FAIL: debug/tst-backtrace6
XPASS: elf/tst-protected1a
XPASS: elf/tst-protected1b
FAIL: math/test-double
FAIL: math/test-double-finite
UNSUPPORTED: math/test-fesetexcept-traps
UNSUPPORTED: math/test-fexcept-traps
FAIL: math/test-idouble
UNSUPPORTED: math/test-nearbyint-except-2
FAIL: nptl/tst-stack4
FAIL: nptl/tst-thread_local1
Summary of test results:
    432 FAIL
   2087 PASS
      3 UNSUPPORTED
     43 XFAIL
      2 XPASS
Makefile:353: recipe for target 'tests' failed
make[1]: *** [tests] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/ubuntu/sellcey/glibc-std/src/glibc'
Makefile:9: recipe for target 'check' failed
make: *** [check] Error 2

Any idea on why all the results don't show up in the summmary when
running 'make xcheck'?

Steve Ellcey