Re: [2.24 PATCH 1/3] Add utility macros for clang detection, and deprecation with messages.

Zack Weinberg wrote:
It might still be a good idea as part of a complete revision of
sys/cdefs.h + features.h, subsuming _all_ of the GCC version checks
into this mechanism and rendering it easily extensible to more
different compilers -- which is what Roland wanted -- but that is a
separate project, not appropriate for 2.24 at this stage, and I do not
want to mission-creep _this_ patchset even to the extent of
introducing the skeleton of the mechanism.

Yes, thanks, that all sounds good.

For what it's worth, the Emacs source code is already implementing something similar to what Roland and I were proposing (using different macro names).