Re: Should malloc-related functions be weak?

On 07/31/2016 02:50 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * DJ Delorie:
>
>> "Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho" <tuliom@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>>> Shouldn't they be weak functions?
>>
>> I can imagine the mess that would happen if someone overwrode malloc()
>> but not free()...
>
> The problem is with the other symbols Tulio identified.  I'll try to
> see if providing weak stubs for them addresses the issue.

Are these other symbols meant be overridden?  If so, shouldn't they be
overridden as a group?  In any case, maybe move them to a separate .o file
instead, so that the linker either pulls all in, or none, and thus complains
if the program overrides __malloc_fork_lock_parent but
not __malloc_fork_unlock_parent, but doesn't complain if the program
overrides malloc/free, etc.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves