Re: RFC: GCC plugin to find encrypted function pointer calls in glibc

On 04/30/2016 09:57 AM, Aldy Hernandez wrote:

Errr, and by the way, is it a requirement that this plugin work with
4.7?  Because, we only need this for static analysis.  Is building glibc
twice a no go (once with the plugin for static analysis, and once for
building the actual production code)?  I thought the purpose of the
plugin was just to analyze what's already there, but I do see the
benefit of using the same compiler for static analysis _and_ for
building the library.

If the same compiler is a requirement, the plugin requires some
rewriting, because unfortunately, the plugin infrastructure is a moving
API target.  I doubt a plugin for GCC 6 will even compile the boiler
plate nonsense we need for another GCC version (and vice versa).
Doesn't the build system know the version of GCC being used to compile glibc? If so, could it conditionally enable/disable the plugins?

jeff