Re: Second draft of the Y2038 design document

Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
What about using GLIBC used over a current 64-bit kernel version, which
does not have proper Y2038 support, which makes GLIBC unable to provide
correct time-of-day past Y2038?

We're saying "don't do that".

Should this GLIBC/kernel version combination be considered forbidden,
IOW, are we saying a Y2038-proof GLIBC should only be used with a
Y2038-proof kernel?

No, we're saying that if your kernel has a Y2038 bug, the resulting system has a Y2038 bug. That doesn't mean you can't run a Y2038-safe glibc atop the buggy kernel.

By the way, a common problem with 64-bit kernels is not Y2038, it's something trickier, e.g., arbitrary limits at 2**63 / 1000000 because someone naively used a 64-bit microsecond counter. These limits are often well past 2038, but they don't have to be. Are you worried about all arbitrary time limits before 2**63, or just time limits that show up by 2038? For example, how about the time limit 2**32 (in the year 2106)?

PS. Did I mention the amusing limit hardcoded into zic? It refuses to accept time stamps before the Big Bang....