Re: Requiring Linux 3.2 for glibc 2.24

On 11 Feb 2016 08:54, Dmitry Mishin wrote:

> >> I've got access to a Virtuozzo container which runs on a commercially
> >> supported (?) 3.10 kernel variant.
> >
> > It turns out it's lying about the kernel version:
> >
> > <https://bugs.openvz.org/browse/OVZ-5843>
> >
> > Oh dear.
>
> Yep, we have to do this in order still allow OpenVZ users to run desired
> software
> inside Containers. Unfortunately, they will to run brand new Linux
> distributions
> every time they appear. :)
>
> Seriously, we wouldn't do these hacks if glibc preserve compatibility with
> old Kernels.

that makes no sense.  glibc already supports 2.6.32 today.  maybe you're
misattributing the problem to distros or other packages ?  off the top of
my head, i know udev is pretty aggressive at dropping support for older
versions of linux.  however, simply lying via uname doesn't actually make
the code work -- they're requiring newer versions because they expect the
functionality that's supposed to be in newer versions.  so unless you're
actually backporting features too (ugh), then your system is broken.
-mike