Re: Requiring Linux 3.2 for glibc 2.24

On 02/01/2016 11:42 AM, Torvald Riegel wrote:
> On Sun, 2016-01-31 at 21:08 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 01/31/2016 07:30 PM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
>>
>>> I see no compelling reason to switch to a non-supported version. Also I would have prefer GLIBC to keep supporting the minimum LTS kernel version instead of a specific version.
>>
>> It's mostly 2.6.32 on everything except Alpha.  These cleanups won't
>> happen over night, especially not the less obvious ones (such as the
>> ST_VALID cleanup).  I just wonder if we could support 2.6.32 with little
>> more effort for a one or more future releases.
>
> So, IIUC, this wouldn't be a change for anything but Alpha?  Is Alpha
> really worth this extra treatment?

No, it's about substantial cleanups which preserve compatibility with
2.6.32, except on Alpha, where 2.6.33 will be required.

The cleanups are exactly the same as we would do when heading towards a
3.2 kernel baseline.  It is not a detour at all.

Are different way of phrasing my proposal: Let's do these cleanups first
which were previously blocked by Alpha, and when they are done, consider
the switch to 3.2 as a baseline.

Florian