Re: Specific Linux syscalls for glibc API

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, Pedro Alves wrote:

> In general, I wonder whether helping the cross-compilation use case (of
> portable programs, not of glibc itself) should be considered in
> determining the guidelines of what/when to wrap and provide in the glibc
> API (not getrandom in particular, but in general).  That is, if some
> entry point is always provided in the glibc API that may or may not fail
> with ENOSYS depending on port, then compile/link autoconf-style checks
> are no longer sufficient to determine whether a function is available,
> while run-time checks obviously don't work when cross compiling.
>
> Is it already the case that functions in the glibc API may be exported
> on all ports but then fail with ENOSYS on some?

If a function is a pure stub, then gnu/stubs.h will indicate this and
autoconf knows about that.  If it may or may not fail at runtime depending
on kernel support, then, yes, applications need to check at runtime
themselves.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com