Re: TR 24731-2 (dynamic allocation functions) as API source

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Paul Eggert wrote:

> Roland McGrath wrote:
> > I agree this is a reasonable set of interfaces for libc.
>
> I also don't object to these. Though it must be asked: are applications using
> these functions? Have application developers expressed a need for them? I
> expect the answer is "no", and that they're low priority.

In terms of demand from users, I certainly expect the highest priority new
interfaces taken from external sources are strlcpy, strlcat,
explicit_bzero, gettid / pthread_gettid_np, futex / futex_*, and most of
the past few years' Linux kernel syscalls (in no particular order).  But
several of those are also more controversial for one reason or another.

(There was at least one instance of demand for TS 18661-1 roundeven:
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2015-02/msg00005.html>
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2015-03/msg00002.html>.)

--
Joseph S. Myers