Re: RFC: requiring GCC >= 4.7 to build glibc

On 10/05/2015 10:34 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:

> Are you saying that binutils 2.22 support is in fact already broken (which
> is something I'd take as evidence to justify such a move - that people are
> actually using features in glibc that 2.22 doesn't have)?

Yes, binutils 2.22 is broken on x86_64, and I don't think 2.23 will fix
it. There are 2.23 versions versions with backported features which
work.  But I think we currently require upstream binutils 2.24 at least,
maybe newer.  We have a similar problem on s390x, with even tighter
requirements.

We just don't have a culture of adding proper configure checks for the
binutils features we use.  We simply let it break.  This means that
bumping the nominal requirement does not provide any cleanup
opportunities, and it also does not inconvenience downstreams (who will
just have to continue to patch around unsupported features).

Florian