Re: Clean up state on patchwork

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> So given the present situation of not enough reviewers, how do we prevent
> the NEW queue from growing unbounded?

We need to get more reviewers (and more people doing other things such as
bug fixing, but lack of review, and maybe of help fixing up patches from
less experienced contributors, is the present discussion), and to do
better at getting existing reviewers' attention on patches for which their
expertise is relevant (the latter being what clean patchwork state should
better be able to help with).  Anything involving removing patches from
NEW without an actual human identification of a problem with the patch or
of something blocking it is just hiding the problem, not fixing it.

(Actually, the number of NEW patches older than a year is fairly small;
much better than the number of open bugs older than a year.  But we really
ought to be able to say something like that for a month, not a year, and
"Under Review" status for an old patch may be suspect if nothing is
actually happening.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com