Re: Consensus on allowing tunables to use GLIBC_* namespace env vars.

On 09/08/2015 06:40 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I've previously lodged my general objection to new magic environment variables.
> That's not what this thread is about, so I won't discuss that here.
>
> Talking purely about name spaces of environment variables, I do not think
> that "GLIBC" should be part of any such naming convention.  New environment
> variables we add should start with "GNU_", and if we need a name space for
> libc rather than just for GNU, "GNU_LIBC_" or "GNU_PTHREAD_" or suchlike
> are reasonable.

Could you expand a bit on why you think "GLIBC_*" seems unsuitable?

The env vars are project specific, but I guess one could argue that a future
different gnu libc could implement the env vars, and it might be called something
other than glibc. Though it seems unlikely.

I can agree that using "GNU_" is nice, we are a GNU project and that promotes
our GNU-ness. However, in that case I would have consistent naming of "GNU_LIBC_*"
where * expands to all the subsystems and env vars for those subsystems.
What makes you suggest "GNU_PTHREAD_?" Just a shorter name than "GNU_LIBC_PTHREAD_?"

Cheers,
Carlos.