This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 1/3] Replace BZERO_P/PIC with USE_AS_BZERO/SHARED
- From: OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 16:52:28 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] Replace BZERO_P/PIC with USE_AS_BZERO/SHARED
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150826134331 dot GA19484 at gmail dot com> <20150826135900 dot GB13215 at domone> <CAMe9rOpMu6iA-z0o7umf1fYxR_rEOvp2KfCXj9oS7OQ-G_MXqw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 07:38:53AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 6:59 AM, OndÅej BÃlka <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 06:43:31AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> >> Replace BZERO_P with USE_AS_BZERO in i586/i686 memset.S to support i386
> >> multi-arch memset. Also we should check SHARED not PIC for libc.so
> >> since libc.a may be compiled with PIC.
> >> OK for master?
> > This is ok as patch.
> > However as I noted in x64 memset this is ineffective as it doubles code
> > size for mostly identical code. So as followup one needs to create bzero
> > stub that jumps into memset. Should I do it?
> IA32 doesn't pass argument in registers. Can we have a second
> entry point in memset for bzero?
Yes, that is what I wanted.