This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Dummy pthread functions in libc considered harmful
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 08:35:49 -0700
- Subject: Re: Dummy pthread functions in libc considered harmful
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <mvmr3ms4sbj dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Andreas Schwab <email@example.com> wrote:
> BZ #18853 shows how the use of the dummy pthread functions in libc can
> be harmful if dlopen brings in libpthread by dependency. IMHO it would
> be better to remove the functions from libc, forcing the users to link
> libpthread directly. Initially, the functions were only provided as
> compat symbols (see the initial revision of nptl/forward.c), but soon
> after that (in commit d7b2ea7) they were made available again because
> "it caused too much trouble." This was very early in the NPTL
> transition, and I don't think this is true any more.
Will STB_SECONDARY solve this?