This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Fwd: [PATCH] Don't allow attackers to inject arbitrary data into stack through LD_DEBUG
- From: Rich Felker <dalias at libc dot org>
- To: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- Cc: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>, Alex <alexinbeijing at gmail dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 22:05:21 -0400
- Subject: Re: Fwd: [PATCH] Don't allow attackers to inject arbitrary data into stack through LD_DEBUG
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1439153945-22973-1-git-send-email-alexinbeijing at gmail dot com> <87fv3s83td dot fsf at igel dot home> <CACsECNf6dB8cAG4EHpox=tg8=+SbeWTb9J=T4zArLtmdQjqkHQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CACsECNeWcACbJ50wYcrWL804G9o7T8eZT57oFZWS17jVZ98SxA at mail dot gmail dot com> <mvmzj1zmssr dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de> <CACsECNcLeZW7WnC1mOM7AssN8xatAAHhEOnPAv9VUnup_cmU=Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <55C868DE dot 30909 at cs dot ucla dot edu> <mvmr3nbmrlz dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:15:36AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Paul Eggert <email@example.com> writes:
> > Presumably the original author didn't know about "%.*s".
> It didn't exist back then.
This is factually incorrect. C89 18.104.22.168 paragraph 3 specifies the *
form for width and precision. printf has 'always' had this feature, or
at least since long before there was a GNU dynamic linker.