This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] x86: i486: stub out init-arch logic
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:29:45 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] x86: i486: stub out init-arch logic
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1439285278-22006-1-git-send-email-vapier at gentoo dot org> <CAMe9rOr-Z7b4TkfT1ZO3vMbLytPSjSEsc-vRgdrHNQce+ryhEg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAEdQ38FJsezdNM5geu3wZicOVMyUKT4NNRE4cDyvC3BFsP2Ybg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Matt Turner <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 3:42 AM, H.J. Lu <email@example.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:27 AM, Mike Frysinger <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>> The common x86 init-arch logic hardcodes the usage of cpuid which breaks
>>> running on i486 and older systems. Rather than add more checking to the
>>> common case only for old cpus, stub it out for i486 systems entirely.
>> cpuid is added to i486 and glibc no longer supports i386. cpuid can be
>> used on x86 without checking and i486 glibc should use cpuid on i686.
> There are apparently some non-Intel 486-compatible CPUs without the
> CPUID instruction -- see the Gentoo bug report.
Please check out hjl/cpuid/master branch. It should work.