Re: Hash out a solution for ChangeLog/NEWS at the Cauldron?

On 08/04/2015 05:26 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
They need to be ready by the time the next
release happens and that I can take responsibility for.

Although it may be more convenient to switch to automatic ChangeLog generation immediately after a Glibc release, it's not required. With Emacs we did the switch between releases, on April 7 of this year.

Although I tried to make the Emacs change as a "big bang", we later discovered several glitches with it and Glenn Morris and I have tweaked it several times since then (most recently June 10). As Glibc has its own needs, it probably can't just clone what Emacs does or what the other packages do, and we should expect a shakeout period after the change -- so it won't be atomic.

The biggest problem is likely to be educating developers about the new workflow. It's important to have a brief writeup for developers, which explains things well. "Brief" because people often don't want to bother reading it. In Emacs this is in a top-level source file CONTRIBUTE and I suggest having a similar file in glibc. (The Emacs CONTRIBUTE file is too long....)