Re: Hash out a solution for ChangeLog/NEWS at the Cauldron?

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 07:50:41PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> It is easier to keep the act of fixing the bug tightly coupled with
> marking the bug as fixed since one is more likely to remember to do
> both at the same time. I estimate the accuracy drops off if you have
> to open a browser, open bugzilla, open the bug, and mark it fixed.
>
> Thus canonically everything lives in source control. The information
> required to generate a ChangeLog, the information required for the
> NEWS entry, the information required for the bug to be closed,

I agree with this, but I also wanted to point out that the Red Hat
bugzilla has a "Fixed In Version:" field that does what Martin is
suggesting.  Since marking a bug as closed is something that needs to
be done manually, setting the "Fixed In Version:" field at that point
seems like a reasonable thing to expect from maintainers.

Of course, it is much easier to just trawl the commit logs for the bug
number since we're already setting that information.

Siddhesh