Re: Fix netdb.h addrinfo namespace (bug 18529)

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015, Roland McGrath wrote:

> Again fine but I think the public header should get a comment.

I've made the existing comment refer to POSIX.1:2001 instead of POSIX.1g
(a reference to POSIX.1:2001 seems the most useful in terms of the
standards supported by glibc).  I don't think the fact that there was once
a bug is particularly useful information to go in comments in the header.

> I also think all these user-visible API changes merit NEWS items
> (perhaps several of them could be covered by a single item).

I think of these changes (that do not affect _DEFAULT_SOURCE or
_GNU_SOURCE and do not obsolete or remove any API) as much like any other
ordinary bug fix - that is, something for which the entry in the list of
fixed bugs is sufficient.  If, on review of the changes since 2.21 during
the freeze for 2.22, it seems these API bug fixes are a significant enough
group of changes to be worth calling out, they could always be mentioned
in a general item (but without trying to list details of each individual
bug that was fixed).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com