Re: Principles for syscall wrappers, again

On Mon, 2015-05-18 at 20:09 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> I would like to see futex in its own header, sys/futex.h, since it has
> a number of macros. I also tend to think the function itself should be
> variadic since a few of the argument slots have different types
> depending on the command in use.

Roland has argued that we should be adding GNU API extensions, not just
Linuxisms.  I think futex is a good example of that: I'd prefer us to
expose functionality that is trimmed down to what's currently widely
used (e.g., futex_wake(), futex_wait(), ... vs. a single variadic-arg
futex()).  That makes it easier for things like the Native Client to
support it, and we can expose a refined interface to users (the futex
syscalls has seen quite a few changes over time and not all of the
initial functionality proved to be really useful).

Thus, it seems to me we should explicitly discuss the GNU API we want to
expose for each syscall's functionality that we want to offer, and not
just expose syscalls interfaces as-is by default.