Re: Support for Intel X1000

> I did a little bit of research and it appears that only lock-prefixed
> instructions which can page fault are affected by this bug. So why not
> just make the kernel enforce mlockall for all processes on affected
> cpus?

mlockall doesn't help in situations where a page is marked as CoW, you
still get the page fault on write (i.e. lock cmpxchg -
read/modify/write).
I am seeing this in two places :-
1. when the data section of an elf binary is loaded.
2. memory shared between a child and a parent process after a fork.

1. seems to be causing the issue, can't see a away to work around this.

> I'm not clear on whether the bug crashes the whole system or
> just clobbers the user process state in an unrecoverable way, but if
> it's the latter, only writable pages would need to be locked;
> read-only pages could still be paged normally.

It clobbers the process the process state in an unrecoverable way. The
problem doesn't affect the Kernel, as the Kernel doesn't page fault.