Re: Problem building glibc

I can't reproduce any problem with make-3.81, though I didn't try using
trunk binutils and gcc too.  As you can imagine, people are not commonly
hitting anything like this or we would have addressed it.  So you'll have
to do your own debugging.

The scenario of a header file being installed during the build suggests
that the include searching is going wrong.  Nothing from the install
directory should be used during the build.  I'd look at the .d (or .dt)
files in string/ and see which ones refer to anything in the install
directory, then figure out why it's coming out that way.

Finding limits.h from the wrong place doesn't really explain the infinite
iteration behavior.  But it's the most obvious place to look from what
you've described, and fixing the root cause of that might make everything
else shape up.