Should glibc provide a builtin C.UTF-8 locale?

Is anyone opposed to having glibc contain a builtin C.UTF-8 locale?
This locale would have the same rules as the C locale when set for
LC_ALL.

The locale would provide sensible fallback for developers that need
UTF-8 but until C.UTF-8 was provided, could not rely upon it.

My best guess is that it will take ~1.5MB of data to include the
UTF-8 locale in the runtime. If you do it right this is shared
for all processes, and give you, in this the 20th century, a fallback
that is sensible for all developers of all languages.

We have had on-and-off requests for this for years as UTF-8 has become
the defacto standard.

The most recent request is from the Python 3 folks who want to be able
to assume there is some kind of UTF-8 support in the system regardless
of the installed locales.

Is this the right way forward? Or should we tell the distributions
that it is their responsibility to ship and always provide a C.UTF-8?

Comments?

Cheers,
Carlos.