Re: [Patch, AArch64] Optimized strcpy

On 17-12-2014 23:05, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 12:12:25PM +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>> This patch contains an optimized implementation of strcpy for AArch64
>> systems.  Benchmarking shows that it is approximately 20-25% faster than
>> the generic implementation across the board.
>>
> I looked quickly for patch, I found two microoptimizations below and
> probable performance problem.
>
> Handing sizes 1-8 is definitely not slow path, its hot path. My profiler
> shows that 88.36% of calls use less than 16 bytes and 1-8 byte range is
> more likely than 9-16 bytes so you should optimize that case well.
>
> See number of calls graph in strcpy function at
>
> http://kam.mff.cuni.cz/~ondra/benchmark_string/profile/results/result.html
>
> My main three strcpy users are mutt, firefox, bash/sh. As first two are
> interactive its hard to do direct benchmark. So you should try how that
> affects bash.
>
> You could try to measure bash running time directly as it uses strcpy
> relatively often. I measured following bash script and if you LD_PRELOAD
> a byte-by-byte loop [A] then it decreases performance by 10%.
>
> http://kam.mff.cuni.cz/~ondra/bashtest.sh

I gave a try to this benchmark and, at least on powerpc64, I could not see *any*
real strcpy usage running using bash (version 4.3.11).  And profilers also do
not show strcpy being a hotspots.  Also, and I don't know if it is intentional,
it is issuing 'gnuplot2'.

And I see your characterized strcpy being direct from desktop workloads, which
is a limited usage behavior.  For powerpc64, as example, 'firefox' and 'mutt'
is far from the default workloads running on it.

So the focus is not that '1-8 *are* hot path' or if you 'profiler' shows that
mostly of calls are less than 16 bytes, but what kind of workloads aarch64
implementation are trying to solve here.  It would be good if the patch
proposal disclaimer better what kind of tests it did, like if he only ran
the GLIBC benchtests of if he is trying to optimize for a real case usage.