Re: Alignment of malloc returned pointer

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> wrote:
> Ramana <ramana.venkat83@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In glibc, I understand that the alignment of the pointer returned by
>> malloc is aligned to at least __alignof__ (long double). For our
>> target, we want to have a different version of malloc that return the
>> pointer with less alignment compared to __alignof__ (long double) and
>> leave the existing malloc version as is.
>
> Why do you want that?
>
> Andreas.

Because we found that some of our applications are performing better
with less alignment for the malloc returned pointer and we want to
give the user an option to chose between the malloc with less vs at
least __alignof__ (long double) alignment.

Thanks,
Venkata Ramanaiah N