Minimum GCC version for building glibc

Currently the minimum GCC version for building glibc is 4.4.  I propose
that we increase this to either 4.6 or 4.7.  (Release branches before 4.8
are no longer maintained, but I don't propose 4.8 as a minimum.)

If we require at least 4.7 that means various C11 features are available,
and __atomic_* (as discussed, we may not want to use __atomic_* on all
architectures, but with 4.7 __atomic_* will be available for use when
desired).  Whatever version we choose, __GNUC_PREREQ conditionals in
non-installed files not shared with gnulib or other projects would be
removed if no longer relevant with the new minimum requirement.

Questions:

* Should 4.6 or 4.7 be the minimum?

* Should we give a recommendation for a specific version or "X or newer",
or just specify the minimum without a separate recommendation?
Experience says the recommendation gets out of date (I don't think 4.6 is
really likely that widely used for building glibc now), and none of the
other components come with such a recommendation in install.texi.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com