Re: The LD_AUDIT interface is here to stay?

On 09/05/2014 10:58 AM, Alexander Monakov wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> For what it's worth I really like the LD_AUDIT interface,
>> it enables some very cool features like `latrace' and
>> others.
>
> Re: "others", can you share any examples?  At one point I've attempted to find
> any software that used the ldso-audit interface, and didn't find anything
> except the aforementioned latrace.  Since then I've found that there's one
> in-tree program (sotruss) and written one toy myself.

SPINDLE - https://computation-rnd.llnl.gov/spindle/pdfs/spindle-paper.pdf

My expectation is that lots of things exist that use this interface that
we aren't aware of.

I'm also aware of research fuzzers that use LD_AUDIT to inject random
delays between function call and execution to expose race conditions
and test for race conditions in user code.

Cheers,
Carlos.

Notes:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Tools%20Interface%20NG