Re: Implement C11 annex K?

On 08/14/2014 08:15 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

The second part is what I've often suspected is behind the resistence to
strlcpy and strlcat.  Folks making that argument are confident enough in
their ability to write C code and length calculation that they don't feel
the need for any further safety measure.

Here's a security bug which resulted from the incorrect use of strlcpy:

  <http://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2014-3560>
  <https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=e6a848630d>

If glibc had provided a fortified version of strlcpy, Samba had used it, and nmbd had been compiled with -O3, this we would have been able to rule out code execution completely (but the crash would have remained, of course).

Instead, like many other projects, Samba rolls their own version of strlcpy, which doesn't know about __builtin_object_size and other GNU extensions.