Re: MIPS MSA sigcontext changes in 3.15

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> signal mask at a particular offset in the ucontext.  As far as I can see,
> extending sigcontext requires a new sigaction flag that could be used to
> opt in, for a particular signal handler, to receiving the new-layout
> ucontext (so new symbol versions of sigaction in glibc could then pass
> that flag to the kernel, but existing binaries would continue to get
> old-layout ucontext from the kernel), or else putting the new data at the

And a new flag would itself be problematic - signal handlers would need
wrapping with userspace code to convert structure layout when new-version
sigaction is used on an older kernel.  That suggests putting the new data
at the end of ucontext is to be preferred (but in any case it would be
best to revert the incompatible changes until something compatible with
existing userspace can be produced).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com