Re: Google Summer of Code projects for the GNU C Library.

Idea for glibc GSoC project: instrument the glibc source with
AddressSanitizer (asan).
https://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/
goal #1: test glibc itself for bugs like stack or global buffer overflow.
goal #2: improve the testing for projects that use glibc (i.e. all
projects on Linux).
E.g. if a program passes a pointer to invalid memory to glibc,
asan-instrumented glibc will detect it.
Today asan solves this problem partially by intercepting the most
interesting functions (e.g. memset),
but a complete solution is more than welcome.

Bonus level 1: the same thing for ThreadSanitizer
(https://code.google.com/p/thread-sanitizer) to detect more races in
user programs.
Bonus level 2: Use Clang instrumentation as an alternative to the GCC
instrumentation (may appear to be huge work, but very welcome)
Bonus level 3: (requires Bonus level 2): instrument glibc with
MemorySanitizer (https://code.google.com/p/memory-sanitizer) to detect
uses of uninitialized memory.

I'd be happy to mentor the project (will be equally happy not to, if
someone else wants that).

--kcc