Re: glibc 2.19 status?

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 07:47:31AM +0100, Robert Schiele wrote:
> I am not sure you are counting that since I am talking only about a
> company internal distribution but in fact we do in our company use
> those patches. I don't see a reason to leave the valuable but
> typically low-risk patches on the release/maintenance branches out
> unless we talk about other projects with bad change management on
> maintenance branches. So, you might not count my statement here since
> I am not talking about a publicly available distribution but you asked
> for feedback.

I don't mind counting internal distributions.  My point is that it is
probably not practical to expect release branches to be actively
maintained by the existing set of maintainers if none of them actually
use these branches actively in their distributions.  If there are
internal distributions that care about these branches then I'd like to
see them come forward and volunteer time to work with the community
and maybe even do the backports.

I assume that in the common case (i.e. straight backports) this would
just mean juggling unmodified patches around and that shouldn't
require a copyright assignment (IANAL, FSF knows better, etc.).

Siddhesh