Re: Consensus on MT-, AS- and AC-Safety docs.

On 11/22/2013 03:35 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

Please confirm you hate our users so much ;-) that you want to impose
the following abomination on them.  Can you even find the original
documentation in this horribly noisy haystack?  Do you realize this
wouldn't even be the worst part of the manual in this regard? :-(

  -- Function: void setpwent (void)
      | MT-Unsafe uses-a-static-buffer-overwritten-by-other-calls,
      may-read-from-the-global-locale-object || AS-Unsafe
      calls-the-dynamic-loader,
      calls-functions-from-plugins-external-to-libc,
      calls-memory-allocation-functions,
      may-deadlock-with-itself-in-asynchronous-signal-handlers
      || AC-Unsafe
      may-leave-data-structures-in-an-inconsistent-state-if-cancelled-asynchronously,
      may-leave-locks-held-if-cancelled-asynchronously,
      may-leak-file-descriptors-upon-asynchronous-cancellation,
      may-leak-memory-upon-asynchronous-cancellation |
      For detailed definitions, see also *note Safety Keywords::.

Hmm. Could we make this data available in machine-parsable form, under a free software license (which the GFDL isn't)? Then we could create tools that present this information in a more easily digested manner.

But I think the main issue is not the names, but that the concepts they stand for are complex and difficult to reason about.