Re: Consensus on MT-, AS- and AC-Safety docs.

On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 03:39 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2013, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> > And set all registers to initial values when the handler is called, rather
> > than calling it with any registers in the state they were at the time the
> > thread was interrupted?
>
> I don't think I looked into that, but it's been a while.  My memory
> isn't as good as I (don't :-) remember it was before ;-)
>
> >> Should I bring simfpu back, named, hmm...  fpresenv?  And then add a
>
> > I prefer longer, more readable names (e.g. floating-point-environment).
>
> But that's meaningless.  Well, yeah, I understand
> âfloating-point-environmentâ, but what about it? :-)

It tells people that there's a constraint to the safety (or a reason for
non-safety) that is in some way related to the floating point env.  That
does pretend to be a self-contained definition, but should hopefully
make it easy to maintain a mental link to the precise definition.

> does-not-preserve-the-floating-point-environment and
> may-not-preserve-the-floating-point-environment-on-cancellation are
> -EWAYTOOVERBOSETOBEUSEFULASKEYWORDS to me ;-)
>
> We actually have good, settled precedent in using non-English keywords
> in error codes that may be stored in errno.

We won't use these safety keywords in code, just in documentation.
Thus, it will be in the context of full English sentences (or something
close to it ;) anyway.  Also, unless we (likely will) need to
distinguish the two cases you mentioned, why do we need to make it more
specific?