Re: malloc probes for glibc 2.19

Wow!, thanks for the very thorough review.

On Sep 19, 2013, "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> This probe is only available if @code{malloc} is compiled with per-thread
> arenas (@samp{-DPER_THREAD}).

I decided to add a bit more info here:

This probe is only available when @code{malloc} is compiled with the
per-thread arenas option enabled (@samp{-DPER_THREAD}); this option is
enabled by default.

>> +@deftpx Probe memory_calloc_retry (size_t @var{$arg1})
>> +These probes are hit when the corresponding functions fail to obtain the

> s/hit/triggered/g.

>> +requested amount of memory from the arena in use, before it retries on

> s/, before it retries on/, but before they retry with/g

Here's how it ended up:

These probes are triggered when the corresponding functions fail to
obtain the requested amount of memory from the arena in use, before they
call @code{arena_get_retry} to select an alternate arena in which to
retry the allocation.

>> +@deftp Probe memory_arena_retry (size_t @var{$arg1}, void *@var{$arg2})

> The use of "above" is tricky in a manual where other parts of the manual
> might move around.

Here's how I rephrased it, so that it ties with the reference to
arena_get_retry in the other _retry probes:

This probe is triggered within @code{arena_get_retry} (the function
called to select the alternate arena in which to retry an allocation
that failed on the first attempt), before the selection takes place.

> Common preposition is `on' for `first try':

Thanks.

I'll go through the patchset one more time and then post it, in reply to
*this* message, because that makes more sense than posting it in reply
to the other email I posted today ;-)