Re: [x86-64 psABI]: Extend x86-64 psABI to support AVX-512

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 05:44:05PM +0200, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:50:53PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > We shouldn't save them all as we would often need to unnecessarily save
> > > register in leaf function. I am fine with 8. In practice 4 should be
> > > enough for most use cases.
> >
> > You can't add call-saved registers without breaking the ABI, because
> > they need to be saved in the jmp_buf, which does not have space for
> > them.
> >
> Well you can. Use versioning, structure will not change and layout for
> old setjmp/longjmp is unchanged. For new setjmp we set jump address to
> jmp_buf address to distinguish it from first case. Then for each thread
> we keep a stack with extra space needed to save additional registers.
> When setjmp/longjmp is called we prune frames from exited functions.

This required unbounded storage which does not exist. From a practical
standpoint you would either have to reserve a huge amount of storage
(e.g. double the allocated thread stack size and use half of it as
reserved space for jmp_buf) or make the calling program crash when the
small, reasonable amount of reserved space is exhausted. The latter is
highly unacceptable since the main purpose (IMO:) of jmp_buf is to
work around bad library code that can't handle resource exhaustion by
replacing its 'xmalloc' type functions with ones that longjmp to a
thread-local jmp_buf set by the caller (e.g. this is the only way to
use glib robustly).

By the way, I do have another horrible idea for how you could do it.
glibc's jmp_buf is actually a sigjmp_buf and contains 120 wasted bytes
of sigset_t for nonexistant HURD signals. So you could store a few
registers after the actually-used part of the sigset_t.

> > Also, unless you add them at the same time the registers are added to
> > the machine (so there's no existing code using those registers),
> > you'll have ABI problems like this: function using the new call-saved
> > registers calls qsort, which calls application code, which assumes the
> > registers are call-clobbered and clobbers them; after qsort returns,
> > the original caller's state is gone.
> >
> What are you talking about? Do you mean that user wrongly marked qsort
> as a function that does not clobber arguments?

OK, you're obviously thinking of some kind of special way of tagging
individual functions as preserving new registers, rather than whole
object or shared library files, in which case it's plausible that you
can make this part work.

Rich