Kinds of models (was: Lock elision test results)

| On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 18:27 -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Torvald Riegel <triegel@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> We need to model performance in some way
>> to be able to find robust tuning parameters,
> No, no, the right way is to run lots of work loads (that is real
> applications) and see what parameters work best.

| Andi, we're not in disagreement here.  I definitely agree that we need
| to have lots of input data.  But any tuning algorithm that we build is
| conceptually based on some model of performance.

I think you're using two different senses of "model".
Perhaps it woul be better to distinguish "mental model", which is ons's
understanding of what happens, from "mathematical model", which is a
restatement of the program in question in a different form, that of
mathematics.

--dave

davecb@spamcop.net           |                      -- Mark Twain
(416) 223-8968