Enhancing malloc

Hi all,

Internally a number of benchmarks and workloads have been shown to
spend a relatively large amount of time in the allocator, so we've
been looking at improving performance of glibc malloc. Specifically I
think we would be looking more at the performance of the allocator
itself (e.g. locking overhead) rather than it's interaction with the
kernel VM.

If we were to submit changes to the malloc implementation what set of
benchmark numbers would be required?
Would it be acceptable to have build time selection of multiple malloc
implementations?
Is anyone else already working on this?

Thanks,

--