Installing configuration files - Was: Add systemd unit file for nscd

On 11/05/13 14:44, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 10 May 2013 19:57:13 Allan McRae wrote:

>>> that suggestion (and patch) was posted previously and decided to not do
>>> it
>>
>> Can you point me to that discussion?  I have searched and am unable to
>> find this.
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2011-09/msg00098.html

What I get from that thread, all distribution maintainers we in favour
of installing nscd.conf and gai.conf (not nsswitch.conf) by default.
And they are already distributed in the packages supplied by most
distributions.  So installing them reduces the packaging overhead for
most distro maintainers as it saves them manually installing these files.

The reject email [1] has two points:

#1) nscd.conf needs customised.  Not really a good point as it appears
most distros ship it as is or do a minor sed on it.  Also not installing
it means an individual has to figure out the defaults or create the
entire file from scratch.

#2) installing gai.conf slows everything down.  The default file is all
comments, so on the first read it is just skipping all lines - so a slow
down there.  From then on it is cached and not read unless it changes.
 Also, most distros ship this, so the slowdown is already present.

I think that patch would be fine to be pushed under the community
agreement model we use in glibc now and should be revisited...

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2011-10/msg00002.html

Allan