Re: FD_SET and FORTIFY_SOURCE

On 03/25/2013 02:41 PM, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> (3/25/13 1:47 PM), Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Your change would be an API breakage?
>
> It depned on what breakage is. The api was broken by following commit.
> So, reverting might be breakage and might be just _fix_.

We have already had more than one release with this fix in place,
therefore it is no longer a fix, but a compatibility issue.

> commit a0f33f996f7986dbf37631a4577f8565b42df29e
> Author: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@gmail.com>
> Date:   Thu Sep 8 19:48:47 2011 -0400
>
>     Add range checking for FD_SET, FD_CLR, and FD_ISSET
>

> But, you are right. interoperability is also important. So, I'd suggest
> to apply following incremental patch w/ my previous one.

Why don't you repost the whole patch with a "v2" section describing
the changes you've made, along with a full rationale for the patch.

Then we can start reviewing from there. It seems to me that you've
identified a real problem and that the direction you are taking is
probably the best e.g. disable checks, add a new fority flag to
enable them again.

Cheers,
Carlos.