Re: support for calling Linux syscalls directly

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 03:49:49PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > The approach I proposed was to determine what's "glibc material". I
> > suspect everything that's not does not belong in a library at all. If
> > the syscall is specific to a single package (like modutils), then the
> > package (e.g. modutils) maintainers are going to be a lot more
> > competent dealing with the kernel interface than a third party trying
> > to maintain libinux.
>
> The plan is that libinux be maintained along with the kernel, which is by
> definition the place that knows the kernel interfaces best as they change.

I thought kernel interfaces were permanent and weren't allowed to
change... Making a library that's intended to be used to access them
with the idea that they "might change" sounds like a dangerous
precedent towards weakening the stability of the kernel API/ABI.

Rich