Re: support for calling Linux syscalls directly

On 01/30/2013 09:56 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

will the kernel types get namespaced ? or will it rely on the C library to provide the proper structures (according to relevant standards) ? the problem we have currently with the network headers is they define the same structure name. we don't want to have that be the starting point for a new lib, and it seems like it'd be real easy for that to become more of a problem. another example is handling of bits that often share the enum/define names such as stat or fcntl or mmap.

As far as kernel types are concerned: I assume we should fix the issues with exporting types into the headers -- I suspect that if the libc provides network headers it can continue to do so, since those generally have to match the kernel types anyway.

In other words, what you describe above is really no different than the current issues with things like ioctl() and socket functions, and the same problems/solutions apply there.

The uapi cleanup is an endeavor to get a set of kernel header files which export the kernel/user space ABI and in such a way that it doesn't step on libc. Problems should be addressed there, of course.

-hpa