Re: Speeding up nscd

On 12/27/2012 01:07 AM, Petr Baudis wrote:
Hi!

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 09:10:49PM +0200, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:
Hi Petr, interesting insight I didn't know of, so I went ahead and
found "unscd" at [1]. Here is a part of the initial comment:

Right. To balance that, there are at least two downsides to unscd:

One more: Sometimes the interface between nscd and glibc changes - and then unscd has to catch up. For example unscd 0.48 was released to fix such a change introduced in glibc 2.15.

   * It is/used to be not as tested as nscd and there are some bugs
in it too.  A different set, and *maybe* smaller.

   * Since all resolving is done in separate children, NSS cannot
reuse resources between the children. For example, IIRC nss_ldap
likes to reuse a single connection to the LDAP server for all the
queries; one of the big reasons to use nscd (at least for some) is to
keep LDAP connection count low for servers handling huge deployments
(thousands+ of clients). This is not the case with unscd where queries
will start new connections. It may be similar with regards to other
NSS modules as well.

   It's no panacea, and in a hindsight it's not as simple as replacing
nscd with unscd and being happy to the end of our days. But it is an
alternative to seriously consider.

Also, AFAIK unscd does not support all databases that nscd supports,

Andreas