Re: Speeding up nscd

  Hi!

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 09:10:49PM +0200, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:
> Hi Petr, interesting insight I didn't know of, so I went ahead and
> found "unscd" at [1]. Here is a part of the initial comment:

  Right. To balance that, there are at least two downsides to unscd:

  * It is/used to be not as tested as nscd and there are some bugs
in it too.  A different set, and *maybe* smaller.

  * Since all resolving is done in separate children, NSS cannot
reuse resources between the children. For example, IIRC nss_ldap
likes to reuse a single connection to the LDAP server for all the
queries; one of the big reasons to use nscd (at least for some) is to
keep LDAP connection count low for servers handling huge deployments
(thousands+ of clients). This is not the case with unscd where queries
will start new connections. It may be similar with regards to other
NSS modules as well.

  It's no panacea, and in a hindsight it's not as simple as replacing
nscd with unscd and being happy to the end of our days. But it is an
alternative to seriously consider.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
	For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear,