Re: dlmopen and core dumps

On 12/19/2012 01:05 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:20:03 +0100, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
Why not just run a generic program, or rather a python script?

Python is needlessly expensive. There does not exist only GDB, there exist other smaller tools examining external programs which can for example run on embedded targets.

Do you have examples of such tools that I can go look at?

Python also has various compatibility issues, I doubt it is compatible with
every platform GDB and other debugging tools are compatible with.

Could you please explain in more detail what you mean by python compatibility issues?

Note that it was not stated in the original requirements that the solution must be usable on every host that GDB and other tools support. Such a requirement is pretty broad and doesn't lend itself well to an initial implementation.

Even if that were the case I'm pretty sure I've seen python support for all GNU/Linux targets (and other non-Linux ones too) that gdb supports. Should we consider embedded systems there is the ability to use PyMite and Tiny Python on those systems. We might need to limit ourselves to Python 2.5.

Why not to use DWARF expression code?

That's an interesting option, and if someone wants to flesh out a design for that *or* a python-based solution I'd be more than willing to review it and discuss it.

At present there appear to be three solutions:

(1) Investigate r_debug solution, it's incremental, and ugly, but we know it works.

(2) Investigate a python based solution, usable by gdb or other tools via a python interpreter.

(3) Investigate a DWARF based declarative solution.

We know (1) is not appealing.

At this point I think someone needs to investigate (2) and (3) in more detail. That someone is probably Gary Benson :-)

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Carlos.