Re: [BZ #13951] Fix country_name of dz_BT

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.com> wrote:

> According to bugzilla, the original submitters of the locale are not
> reachable, let's try again with the one address I haven't tried. But perhaps
> Chris can help as well...
>
> Andreas

I filed the ticket because the existing country_name entry of "BHU" is
obviously wrong.

I cited the ISO-3166 PO file as the source for the patch I provided.
While ISO-3166 is often of questionable accuracy in naming foreign
lands, I do sometimes make the presumption that the homeland of a
language is properly translated.

 186 #. name for BTN
 187 msgid "Bhutan"
 188 msgstr "àààààà"
 189
 190 #. official_name for BTN
 191 msgid "Kingdom of Bhutan"
 192 msgstr "àààààà àààààààààààà àààààààà"

However, as Carlos mentioned, WP-en and WP-dz state the name as:

àààààààààà

I think that the ààààà portion of the name is a sort of  suffix,
probably signifying something on the order of "kingdom of" or "land".

Note the similarity at the end of the names for Nepal and Bhutan both
ending in "ààààà"

Nepal page on WP-dz
http://dz.wikipedia.org/wiki/ààààààà;
Bhutan page on WP-dz
http://dz.wikipedia.org/wiki/àààààààààà;

Seeen in HTML as:

Nepal page on WP-dz
http://dz.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%BD%96%E0%BD%A3%E0%BC%8B%E0%BD%A1%E0%BD%B4%E0%BD%A3%E0%BC%8B

ending in %E0%BC%8B%E0%BD%A1%E0%BD%B4%E0%BD%A3%E0%BC%8B

Bhutan page on WP-dz
http://dz.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%BD%A0%E0%BD%96%E0%BE%B2%E0%BD%B4%E0%BD%82%E0%BC%8B%E0%BD%A1%E0%BD%B4%E0%BD%A3%E0%BC%8B

ending in %E0%BC%8B%E0%BD%A1%E0%BD%B4%E0%BD%A3%E0%BC%8B

Given that the original submitters are non-responsive (permanent
e-mail failure), we will have to look to another informed arbiter.

As the patch submitter, what I would like to propose is to place this
ticket in WAITING status while I perform some outreach for a more
definitive answer.  I have in mind reaching out to the UNDP-Bhutan as
a suitable authority on this question where there should be no
communication barrier.  They have done IT capacity work with/for the
Bhutanese govt.

http://www.undp.org.bt

While I know that "BHU" is wrong, I am content to wait for a
definitive answer so it doesn't have to be patched again later.

I will withdraw and replace the patch when a more definitive answer is
available.

cjl