Re: malloc probes for Systemtap

On Oct  8, 2012, "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:

> (1) Probes in their own section in the manual.

> The level of details we need for probes means we should be putting
> them into a section in the manual and that such a section should have
> an ABI disclaimer.

Will do.

> (2) Probe name should contain the group prefix.

> Using the group prefix as the probe name, rather than the function,
> allows for a clear distinction between the purpose of the probe and
> it's position. The purpose of the probe is IMO what is important and
> will dictate parameter selection.

Should the group prefix be malloc, as in the directory name where the
probed code is, or memory, as in the manual chapter that covers them?

I'm leaning towards the latter, just because it makes for less confusing
probe names.  Say, memory_realloc_retry and memory_malloc_retry sound
better than malloc_realloc_retry and malloc(_malloc)?_retry IMHO.

> (3) Still reviewing the changes.

> I'm still reviewing Alexandre's changes, and I appreciate Jeff's quick
> summary.

Thanks