Re: [RFC] Spam on the glibc wiki.

On 07/18/2012 03:46 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
Community,

We are receiving a lot of spam on our wiki. For example over the
past 30 days we have deleted 216 new spam pages, that's 7.2 spam
pages per day and it shows no sign of stopping.

My guess is that they are using automated tools with rate limiting
to prevent themselves from being removed. They use unique names
and the text of the spam varies wildly and changes frequently.

Thomas and myself have been deleting it manually as it arrives
since humans are good at spotting the difference between
"Real-World Secrets Throughout party powder About the UK" and
"If you are modifying a locale, make sure it still compiles." :-)

Personally I'm getting tired of my task as human spam filter and
so is Thomas.

I'm looking for any recommendations on how to shut out the spammers
from the wiki.

Comments?

Closing is one option - don't allow new accounts, create them manually if needed.

I would consider that for some time and trying to lift the restriction to see whether we're still under attack,

Carlos, Thomas, thanks for fighting the spam!
Andreas